Monday, July 16, 2012

Single parenting & raising Godly sons and daughters

As if being a single parent wasn't tough enough, I find myself struggling on a biblical level as well. Those of my friends and family that aren't Christ followers won't get it, but it's certainly an issue that I struggle with. One of the greatest responsibilities I have is to raise my children into godly, compassionate, productive members of our society. As a single parent, that's an even larger challenge than a typical married parenting couple face. How can I teach my boys to be godly men, to grow up to be the leaders of their homes, to lead their wives and children, when they don't have that godly example to teach them? How can I teach my daughter to seek a godly man as her partner, and how to become his help meet to him, when I'm not a living example of that to her? It's quite a conundrum. There are so many resources available to parents- retreats, camps, seminars and conventions, classes and studies, etc., yet they speak from a biblical standpoint of a two parent household. I've found wonderful sources of information, and some fantastic opportunities that my children and/or I would love to participate in, but we don't fit the "mold". The offerings on raising sons into godly men are made for fathers and their sons to participate in together, or speak to fathers as far as how to guide their sons. I've yet to find a source of mother/son offerings or teachings that offer the same guidance. In fact, many of the things I've found that we would love to participate in are seemingly negatory in their views towards single parents. I've found myself interested in some homeschool curriculum offerings that are very clear in its preference for married families only. In fact, in order to be accepted into their program, I'd have to get my ex-husband to sign into an agreement with them. Other than that, it seems to be a fabulous program. It's quite frustrating that the boys (and girls) who need the guidance and role modeling the most are the ones who get it the least. With the rate of divorce and unmarried parents in our country, I find it shameful that there is such a lack of support in this area. It's such a sadness that I'm forced to try to teach them with "do as I say, not as I do." Surely I'm not the only single parent struggling with this! I'll continue on my quest, but it would sure be easier if I had more support from fellow Christians.

1 comment:

  1. I think you should be on the forefront of creating this way of life for others. When you can't find a mold to fit into, create one! And I know you can do it :) You are so personable and nice, people will be magnetically drawn to you :) You could start with a "facebook group" and go from there. There are so many options. I am sure there are others out there struggling with the same thing as you :)

    ReplyDelete