Friday, January 24, 2014

Strange Days

This week has flown by! I'm probably the only person in the planet that doesn't get excited that it's the weekend. That has a lot to do with the fact that I typically work the weekends. Maybe someday I'll get a normal job and have normal days off like a normal person. Maybe.

What a strange, wonderful, unexpected week this has been. I have a general rule, and that is that surprises are bad. Historically, surprises in my life have not been good ones. They're usually along the lines of:

"Surprise! Look, Mom! I made you breakfast!" (and broke three dozen eggs on the kitchen floor)
or
"Look, I painted the dog!"
or
"Surprise! Someone in Pittsburgh went shopping with your American Express!"
or
"Surprise! You've got a warrant out for your arrest for an unpaid parking ticket!"
or
"Surprise! I'm sleeping with someone else and sending you an email to tell you I'm leaving!"

See why I dislike surprises? They are never, ever good. There's something to be said for boring. Boring is good. Boring typically means nothing bad is happening. Boring means everything is status quo, and I don't have to worry about what awful thing is about to grace me with its presence. But this week my whole world has seemed topsy turvy. I don't really know which way is up, or whether I'm just imagining things. I'm thinking it's far more likely that I'm having a mental crisis and maybe have just imagined this week. Or perhaps I'm in such a sleep-deprived stupor that I'm dreaming? I don't know, could be :) Either way, I've had a great week. Super great. It's weird and unexpected, to be sure. My weeks are basically the same thing, day in and day out. For years, it has basically been the same thing every day. So the fact that every day this week has been completely NOT the same as every other day in my life has been so wonderfully weird. Crazy. I've managed to keep my head straight with school, which is going surprisingly well, despite my horrendous classload this quarter. Somehow I've managed to find way more free time in my schedule than should really be possible. I'm surprisingly enjoying that I don't really know what weird trick the universe is playing on me. I'm not even going to worry about when it's inevitably going to go bad, and how awful it's going to be then. Not today. If I am indeed in the midst of a break with reality, I'm okay with that. It's been a good week for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment